Fighting Back Against Child Abuse

Monday, March 15, 2010

Amazing Monday

It was a truly incredible Monday. I made it to the hearing in plenty of time, and the lawyer was even early. We had a very nice conversation before motion hour started.

From the moment the case was called, one thing was obvious. The judge was totally unprepared. Bear in mind, we filed an eight page motion simply asking for a custody hearing. We supported it with three sworn affidavits, photos of the abuse, and records of CPS hearings regarding violence to the boys. The judge didn't have a clue. She looked at none of it. Not even the motion.

First of all, she had read nothing. She didn't even know what the point to the motion was. I'm not sure that she ever did actually understand we were looking for a custody hearing. She was, however, very concerned with whether or not T.J. is up on his child support payments. Apparently that was an issue (unraised in the motion) she could really get her teeth into. Hunter's poor little arm didn't bear looking into, but she sure combed the file to see if money was changing hands.

On the subject of money, she tried to order a pre-custody evaluation for the modest price of $3,500. That's no doubt a real bargain in the legal system. I have read that the real purpose of Family Court is to make money for the "service providers" they deal with. I'm beginning to think there may be some substance to what I read. Anyway, we nixed the $3,500 deal. My lawyer made it clear we were looking for bargain basement protection for the boys.

When we turned down the high-dollar deal, the judge moved on to suggesting mediation. I'm not real sure Hunter knows much about mediation. He just knows his mommy bit him, and may do it again. I'm not sure what the price is for mediation, but I do believe it's somewhat cheaper than the pre-custody evaluation.

In the end, no one knows what the judge decided. She said she'd issue some kind of order. No one knows what it will be. Our attorney is waiting for the record to come down tomorrow, so we'll know what the hell she did. I sincerely hope she went back to her office and at least read the motion before she issues her order. Guess we'll see.

To make a bad situaton worse, this afternoon I went to the Family Court Clerk to order a copy of the videotape they make in court. When I gave the clerk the case number, it came back under another name. He swears there's no such case as the one we heard this morning. Incredible. There appears to be no end to their buffoonery.

On that topic, I'll have more tomorrow. I have some shocking revelations about Judge George, who dissolved the EPO originally. I read the local rules of practice. Literacy is a wonderful thing. I don't want this to be too long tonight, though, so be patient.

More tomorrow.