Fighting Back Against Child Abuse

Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Weekly Wrap-Up

Having spent three days belaboring the judge in this case, I decided to shift my emphasis on Friday. Time to turn to the role of CPS.

When Psychomom first bit Hunter back in November, my wife called CPS. As you can tell from the pictures posted here, it was a serious bite. CPS launched an "investigation," which turned out to take quite awhile (well over a month). They finally wrapped up their investigation by substantiating the abuse, and confirming that it was actually Psychomom who bit Hunter. And then they did a peculiar thing. They did nothing.

"Nothing" didn't sit well to those of us who actually know what's going on in the home. We felt outright physical abuse, which both Ryan and Hunter have suffered, deserved action. So T.J. (their father) filed for the EPO which resulted in the current conflict. Bear in mind that CPS had no role in getting into court, and thus no business there. In an attempt to justify their lack of action, they prepared a report for the court. What they didn't do, though, was talk to any of the people who actually know what's going on. Then they showed up in court to dazzle the judge with their ignorance. The long and the short of it is, CPS consideres biting an acceptable form of abuse. And the judge went with them.

So, on Friday I switched my sign. It has the same gruesome photos of Hunter's bite, but it now says, "CPS Call This 'Discipline'. Shame on Them." I also added the governor's phone number to the sign and my flyer, and urged people to call and demand an investigation. Thus adequately armed, I took up my post Friday morning at the courthouse.

I came to two conclusions very quickly. First, it didn't take long to figure out that CPS is actually more unpopular than Family Court. (I wouldn't have thought that possible, but it shows you how naive I can be.) I stood outside the courthouse for several hours on Friday, talking to anyone who'd listen. Not one person spoke a word in their defense. They seem to be universally despised. It was heartwarming to know I'm not alone in my sentiments.

The second conclusion I came to is that I'm unlikely to be invited to the annual CPS Christmas party. I gave flyers to several women I'm certain work for CPS. While they made no attempt to defend their actions, I was subjected to a glare which was distinctly hostile. Too bad. I'm not likely to lose any sleep over the fact that I'm not popular with CPS.

After four days of picketing the courthouse, I can only say that the experience has been gratifying. I've met some very nice people, and now have more insight into how our legal system is perceived by the average Joe. I've been amazed at the concern and even passion displayed by total strangers who see two small children in danger. And I've developed my character by facing up to adversity - even the ogre from Thursday.

I can't wait to see what next week brings.